Yoga Therapist & Somatic Practitioner
Health and fitness have always been a part of my life. I would get involved in community sports, with school and social activities. Being athletically inclined, success in this area came with ease. It was also very natural to encourage others to grow, recognizing their level of ability.
Chronic pain from an MVA ended my extremely active lifestyle in 2008. It was no surprise though, that it led me to my yoga journey by 2010.
I still struggled though, to slow down and go within my practice. I soon realized that even with yoga, less really was more for me. From here I paid attention to my compensations, worked on bettering my stability & learned how to release my constant tension.
My classes capitalize on my ability to incorporate therapeutic-based yoga techniques. Releasing muscle tension from a place of ease with soft gentle movement, effective support for the body, and time within a pose, all within your practice.
From semi-private to private sessions and small group classes, my attention to detail with each student is on breath awareness during mindful movement, to create space in the body. I offer students options within a pose through the use of props, to enhance their comfort and a sense of safety.
- Certified Yoga Studio College of Canada (250hr; Iyengar based yoga training)
- Certified Level 1 Somatic Exercise Coach, exercises for musculoskeletal & sensory motor reeducation. This practice awakens the body and mind through soft, slow, voluntary movements.
- Restorative Yoga, dives into transitioning the body's processes toward a parasympathetic state; activating the relaxation response with a quiet mind, soft breath and melting away tension.
- Yin Yoga, a practice that reconnects a quiet mind & still body. Lengthy poses allow for the deep tissue layers to release tension, which then assists in moving stagnant energy.
- Level 1 Thai Yoga Therapy, blends manual therapy techniques from Thai Yoga Massage, movement yoga therapy, energy & breath therapy, drawn from Ayurveda and Yoga Therapy.
- Level 1 NeuroKinetic Therapy, a system of manual muscle testing, reconnecting neuromuscular patterns for proper movement and function.
My personal interests include latin & country dancing, rock climbing, wine & traveling.